Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Collecting Specimens- What Fun!!

Collecting specimens is loads of fun with good company in a beautiful place.


Bur Oak Acorn

Last Friday, Cindy Klemmer, Director of Education at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, took me for a ride around the grounds to collect seed specimens for my workshop there on Saturday. It was a rare privilege and delight.

That charmer above is an acorn that I have long wanted to work with. It looks like a small child in an overly large winter hat. There were lots of these acorns under a tree along the road going to the Visitors Center.



Beauty Berry

These colorful berries are a native plant that grows in my garden, but never as lush as these beauties. Easy to see where it got its name.


Bald Cypress Seed Clusters

This interesting cluster of seeds simply falls apart when ripe. I was delighted to find this seed cluster. I had never seen one before. These are the same trees we see along the coast with knees growing up in the swamp.



Rose Hips

These interesting berries have a star at their tip. The banks of roses were full of hips. Will all hips make tea?


Paw paw

This rather small pod was full of seeds and some were still available under the fallen leaves from a cluster of trees near the Education Center.


Hyacinthe Bean

This bean is on a vine, like string beans. Very colorful.

Cindy was knowledgeable and a congenial hostess for the garden. We had a great time on a lovely fall day. These collected seeds will be great specimens for the workshop on Saturday. Thanks, Cindy.

Nancy

1 comment:

  1. My name is Kirby Talbert and I am a senior at Shenandoah University. This semester, my Community and Regional Studies course is working on a trail guide that will be published for the public's use. May I have permission to use the photograph of the Bur Oak acorn on your website? It is just what we need! Please email me know as soon as possible at ktalbert10@su.edu!

    Thank you,
    Kirby Talbert

    ReplyDelete