Tuesday, November 16, 2010
From Art to Landscape - Love this book!
Published by Timber Press, 2010
W. Gary Smith has written a terrific book that transcends landscaping and has much to offer any artist willing to look beyond their own genre.
Notes from the back cover include the following:
" Among the inspiring techniques explored by renowned landscape designer and artist Gary Smith:
* Cultivating the art of careful intuition
* Building a visual vocabulary of shapes, forms and patterns
* Sketching, painting and drawing to connect to place
* Taking inspiration from painting, dance, and other art forms
* Infusing your designs with wonder by learning from nature
* Inviting serendipity
Encouraging, personal, and delighting in the creative process, Smith shows you how to develop 'a richness of expression beyond your ability to imagine.' "
I have been reading a couple of books from artists with different perspectives. This book, written for people interested in landscape design, has a lack of jargon that is both refreshing and an easy read.
Of course, I love gardens and the book's chapter (The Garden as Fine Art: H. F. du Pont's Winterthur) is on one of my favorites.