Saturday, January 15, 2011

Creating Depth - VI - Quilters' Tools

Creating Actual Depth

Quilters' have the opportunity to create depth in several different ways. One technique I use is trapunto. Here is the reverse side of the top. Once the piece is quilted, these padded areas will have a definite additional dimension to them.




The two rose hips and just the tip of the small bent leaf have one layer of batting. I pinned a layer of the batting to the back of the top and sewed around the hips and the tip of the leaf.




I wanted some dimensional work inside the hips. I sewed between the two hips and then at the end of the hip where there is an indentation where the stamens were. I can increase the depth of these areas by sewing them again when they are quilted, or leave them unquilted for only small indentations.




Quilters can change the amount of depth by choosing some areas that are left unquilted and some areas that are densely quilted. We have more options that some other artists do for creating a sense of depth in our work.



The impact that the quilt line gives is largely why I love quilting rather than painting.




Nancy

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the ability to use actual dimenson and texture is one of the great pleasures of working with textiles. I know of no other surface with so much versatility and tactile appeal to the creator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I agree about the tactile appeal both to the creator and to viewers. It amazes me that you can have quilted textile art in an art show, in an art gallery and people will still reach out and touch it. They are so touchable and have such strong emotional pull that it is hard for people to keep their hands off them.

    ReplyDelete